10月 26, 2007

Truffle hunting

Just came back from a short trip to the west end of metro Toronto to hunt down some black truffles.

I went to this gourmet grocery store Cheese Boutique, which seems to be the only store in Toronto that has fresh black (and white!) truffles.

They have them in store today, and the price ranges from $35 to $120 ($2 per gram).

When the staff opened a styrofoam box that has the truffles sitting inside, about two meters away from me behind the counter, I could smell that lovely, intoxicating fragrant... it felt like the first time meeting your first love...

I didn't get it though. It's way out of my budget :)

Honestly that store marks things up a lot--they charge $9/kg for some small purple potatoes, where I can get it for $2.8/lbs from St. Lawrence market.

But I'm sure I will use black truffles some day--tucking a big one into the cavity of a Bresse capon and have it slowly roasted, serving it with some sweet chestnuts, enjoying them with my loved ones in the countryside of France during the colorful autumn...

標籤:

0 Comments:

發佈留言

<< Home