6月 06, 2007

Holy churches and second hand smoking

No wonder there is a term marry the two totally unrelated things... it must all because of Venice--a city that has quite a lot churches, but also filled with a lot of second hand smoke. Apparently the long and narrow alleys make the situation even worse. So I'm soaked in this smoky city all day long, except when I am in a museum...

Went to the St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace today... the two "must go" spots of Venice. They're OK. The Basilica wasn't as good as I thought, perhaps because the mosaic wasn't lit up. But it's an overcast day with intermittent rains, so I bet it wouldn't lit up for the day anyway.

So far I've been complaining about Venice. I guess it's mostly because of my sore throat (and constantly inhaling the smoke). But then I finally find out that Venice is actually really beautiful--when I took the boat early this morning, when the canal and streets start waking up for the busy day, Venice is truly romantic.

I'm planning to get up before unrise tomorrow and explore more on its charm, before I head off to Florence at 11.30. Speaking of that, I'm lucky enough to hold the last seat for this slot. Looks like it's another busy city...

Oh, for dinner, I think I'm being smart this time--I went to the market and will make my own dish (well, it's just salad basically). The price is resonable this time--with half the price of that "Venice style cuttlefish", I get enough fruits for a few days, a dinner for tonight, and a large juice helping me fight the sore throat.

I'll go for a Vivaldi concert late tonight :-)

標籤:

3 Comments:

At 12:45 下午, Anonymous 匿名 said...

I love Venezia!
Have you tried the Spritz yet? I had it every evening before dinner.

Btw, I stayed out of the touristy area most of the time. Try hop on the ferry and randomly get off a stop. It's the area south of Campo San Magarita that I discovered the local drink Spritz. Good and cheap. Around $1.50-2 Euro.

You should go to osteria and a wine bar too!

 
At 2:03 下午, Blogger Unknown said...

whoever said those 2 places are must go? the best part of venice is when you wander around and get urself lost. there are lots of local places.

 
At 6:27 上午, Blogger euqus said...

Jimmy, tried the drink once, but didn't get myself addicted to it. The wine bar was OK, although I'd love to get a bottle of wine and drink with a few friends in the square late at night....

Doug, I got lost for 12+ hours a day for these two days, that's why I'm all soaked up in the second hand smoke... I guess I know the directions now even without the help of the signs :-)

 

發佈留言

<< Home