6月 19, 2007

Best (and worst) of Italy

OK, here's what I found out about Italy:

Best food
The hostel in Florence. The fish cooked simly with tomatoes and olives was unforgettable. I wasn't able to find anything that could match.

Worst food
Cinque Terre -- the (sea) food is overall great, except anchovies! I can't bear it however they're made: salt cured, cooked in lemon juice (well, yeah, not really "cooked" in heat but in lemon juice only), or freshly baked in tomato and herbs sauce. I'm sorry but it's just aweful. Unfortunately, it's one of the most famous products in Cinque Terre.

Best stay
The hostel in Florence. Although it's just a hostel, it has the best Italian garden, filled with the wonderful Tuscan sulight. I went back to the hostel every day just because of the garden.

Worst Stay
Of course, the hostel in Roman. It's horrible. So humid, so hot. The shower doesn't have curtains, the toilet doesn't have seat. Street kids party till 4am every day, the food is aweful (and priced the same as the one in Florence)... how aweful? Their deep fried chicken leg bascially cannot be eaten since the meat is too hard. Anyways, what you can find out about a bad stay, you can find it out in this hostel.

Best city
Actually every city is different, so it's difficult to say. But if I can go back to only one city in Italy, I would choose Civita. Yup, it's surprising. I wouldn't go back alone though. The sunrise was unforgettable.

Worst city
Venice. Yup, sorry, I know Venice could be beautiful, but it's just not for me. May be somehow I would change this feeling in the future. But to me, Venice is only for tourist...

Need to get up at 4am tomorrow to catch a 6.50 train to the border of Italy and France. Hopefully I'll be in Nice tomorrow...

標籤:

4 Comments:

At 3:04 下午, Anonymous 匿名 said...

Venice is my most favorite Italian City! I don't think you explore the city enough!

Of course, I went the to Venice Film Festival, their Architecture Biennale, almost walked around all the neighborhoods and stayed away from tourists most of the time.

That would have given you a different experience. I really want to check out Civita now as a friend of mine actually had a study tour there. Did you see the big UW sign?

Oh, you might like Lake Como too if you go there.

Jimmy

 
At 3:11 下午, Anonymous 匿名 said...

My friend Michaela is traveling in Italy too. She is the seven person I know who's traveling in Italy this year! Look like everyone goes there this year! Here's her blog:

http://michaelakelly.spaces.live.com/

I sent her your blog too. Oh, I guess you will not run into her as you are done with Italy!

It'll be fun to compare the travel experience though!

I love blogs!

 
At 3:01 上午, Blogger euqus said...

Hey Jimmy, thanks for forwarding the link! How did you get away from the tourists in Venice? They're every where!! When I was in Venice, I walked around the city all day long... but again, I don't like it being so crowded and every one is smoking in the long, high, and narrow alleys...

 
At 3:07 上午, Blogger euqus said...

OH, btw, I didn't see the UW sign in Civita. In fact, I only saw less than 10 tourists there, and out of the 10, only three people (myself included) stayed overnight in town.

 

發佈留言

<< Home